Monday, May 2, 2011

What We Receive In Childhood

   In honor of Mother's Day & mothers everywhere, praise for Mom!
   She creates an atmosphere for learning.  Looking back, many of my defining interests have their seeds in childhood. 
   I followed my mother to auctions.  There were many hot, sultry summer days spent viewing furniture & household goods. This nurtured a love of antiques & junk in general !
   My parents grew up in a time of want, and knew how to make do.  Their habits of self-sufficiency are not a necessity today.  But knowing how to grow your own flowers, fruits and vegetables is a great joy as well as a sensible pastime.
   I joined a 4-H club and learned to sew at age 9.  I started with crude doll clothing. Dresses weren't hemmed, and buttonholes weren't stitched at first.  I progressed to making my own fabric purses from home-decor fabrics from a friend who sewed upholstery covers.  I embroidered and patched my jeans in the hippie days of the 70's.  In college I was fascinated with art, as well as other topics. 
   I love textiles of every type.  I want to keep this interest alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment